Midrasha

Midrasha

Who Are We?

Midrasha in Berkeley engages Jewish teens in exploring their identity as Jews through social, educational, and experiential programming. Through weekly classes, tri-annual retreats, and social action projects, East Bay teens in grades 8-12 strengthen their ties with their heritage and their community. Each week, a class is inspired by a Jewish quote and video to write their heart out about their week as an East Bay Jewish teen. Then, their work gets posted right here, on our very own blog, creating a fantastic new group of published authors each week!

September 22, 2013

Week 3- What's in a Space?

How lovely are your tents, O Jacob, your dwelling places, O Israel!

מה טבו אהליך יעקבמשכנותיך ישראל        
Ma tovu ohalekha Ya'akov, mishk'notekha Yisra'el.



Mari-

           Last year was my tenth year at Berkeley Tuolumne family camp. I started going there when I was three years old and have loved it ever since. Just recently in the rim fire. My sacred camp burned down to the ground and it was a devastating loss for everyone. There was a place called small falls, which was on a part of the river about a ten-minute hike from camp. For me, it was the most beautiful place on earth. It was my place where I could think, away from electronic buzz of the city. I could go up there to think, and to enjoy the beautiful untouched nature. When I heard the news of camp Tuolumne burning, it felt as if a little piece of me had died.  That was my safe haven and its not there anymore.

Naomi-

My special place is somewhere that I feel at peace with others and myself.  Every summer I go to a camp called Camp Tawonga.  This year at camp, I had the most amazing time.  My bunkmates were the best I’ve had so far, and having known all but one of them made it really special.  Although none of us knew one girl, the seams were soon invisible and it was as if we had known her for forever.  Having gone on our backpacking trip the second day, it really helped us to bond even more. It was unbelievable to realize that we had actually known each other for no more than two days and we were already close as ever.  The whole trip was an amazing experience in itself, but the people I was with made it that much more special.  Our location was absolutely beautiful.  From the moment we stepped onto the private, secluded beach, in Lake Eleanor, there was a certain vibe to it.  The beach opened up into the vast lake, the hills framing it perfectly.  The sun was evident and reflected off the water making it glow in a certain way.  It was breathtaking and I don’t think I’ve ever been somewhere so serene and gorgeous.  The water was a perfect temperature, not too warm not too cold from sitting under the beaming sun.  The rocks surrounding and secluding the beach were perfect for jumping or just sitting and dangling your feet off of.  As soon as you emerged from the water you would be dry in seconds.  The sight of the scene in the morning was different than it appeared mid-day.  The morning fog still surrounding and engulfing bits of the hills, reflected off of the water while beams of sunlit water glittered.  It was all so peaceful.  Instantaneously the peace and serenity of this sight is instilled and you feel at peace.  Not just with yourself but others too. 
            My ideal writing space would have to be somewhere familiar to me. Perhaps something that makes me feel as though I’m at home and comfortable as opposed to a cold, spacious room.  Sitting by the fire with a large blanket and tea or just a large blanket and sunlight-lit room sounds appealing to me.  I prefer the comfort of something familiar to be able to write instead of something extravagant and foreign to me. 






No comments:

Post a Comment